Personal liability exposure exists in many different - and often
unexpected - forms. While everyone may have some liability exposure, high net
worth individuals are especially vulnerable; wealth can make them natural
targets for lawsuits.
Following are some examples of actual industry claims that highlight
personal liability exposures. Unfortunate incidents like these can, and do,
delivery man carrying packages tripped and fell over a dog resting on the
interior decorator fell through rotted board on a guest house porch and
fractured her ankle.
- While performing maintenance work, a domestic employee fell from a
roof and sustained fatal injuries.
- The employee of a landscaping contractor sustained severe injuries on
the premises due to unsafe work conditions and equipment failure.
- Excessive weight and improper design caused a deck to collapse during
a party, injuring numerous guests.
New Year's Eve party guest was severely injured while dancing.
- The host of a private house party was sued for negligence after a
party guest sexually assaulted another attendee.
farm animal escaped from the property, wandered into a roadway and caused a
fatal car accident.
insured's elderly mother-in-law fell in a dimly lit entry foyer and fractured
Damage to Another's Property
large tree branch fell onto a neighbor's greenhouse and caused extensive
- The drainage system from an insured's swimming pool caused flooding
and water damage to a neighbor's property.
- Dog bites: a dog escaped from a closed bedroom and bit a party guest;
a dog bit a contractor working on the insured's property; and while being
walked, a dog bit a passing skateboarder.
- Hobbies: An errant golf ball struck a pedestrian, causing severe
- Children's activities: The playmate of an insured's daughter
allegedly struck a domestic employee who was babysitting the children (personal
negligence arising from the actions of a minor).
Defamation, Libel and Slander
insured was accused of making slanderous remarks in a speech during a political
insured was sued for defamation as a result of forwarding an e-mail containing
disparaging comments about the someone.
- After taking legal action to stop a neighbor from building an
addition to his home, an insured was subsequently sued by the neighbor.
former domestic employee sued over allegations of discrimination and wrongful
insured ended a relationship with a domestic partner and forced the partner to
move out of the home. The partner sued with an allegation of wrongful
Please contact your Private Client representative for more
information on solutions to high net worth clients' personal liability